The beach volleyball tournament I’m playing in on Saturday is themed ‘Light it Up Blue’ as an Autism fundraiser, so I made blue themed cupcakes for it! The cupcake recipe is my go-to vanilla recipe, food coloured blue. They came out a touch greenish because of the vanilla, and I didn’t really want an excessive amount of food colouring. The icing is from Baked Explorations and HOLY BABIES it is amazing. I actually licked the mixer paddle clean. I don’t do that. But this icing was just so delicious. I’m generally pretty good about not eating my baking, but right now I have to constantly remind myself that those cupcakes are for a fundraiser and I’m not allowed to eat any.
EGGLESS VANILLA CUPCAKES (24 medium)
- 1-¾ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/8 cup oil
- 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- 2 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with ~15 liners
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Mix milk, oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar together
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Fill liners ~2/3 high. Bake for 12 – 18 minutes, depending on liner size.
HONEY VANILLA ICING
- 1-½ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1-½ cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1-½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 tbsp. honey
- In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, whisk the sugar and flour together. Add milk and cream and cook over medium heat. Whisk occasionally until mixture comes to a boil and is thick, about 10 – 15 minutes.*
- Transfer the mixture to standing mixer. Beat on high until cool (7-9 minutes at least). Reduce speed to low, and add butter. When thoroughly mixed, increase speed to medium until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and honey and mix until combined. Refrigerate slightly if it’s too soft, and heat over a pot of water if it’s too firm.
* I didn’t actually have cream, so I used milk and a bit of butter, and it worked fine. Also, I find that it’s more like 15 – 10 minutes.
NOTE: I specifically made this much icing because I’m also baking a cake, but there was quite a lot left over afterwards! If I were to just make the cupcakes, I’d cut this in half.
What the boiling milk mixture vaguely looked like. It didn’t really photograph too well, but you can sort of see bubbles!
Hopefully these will actually make it to this fundraiser and I don’t just eat them all tomorrow!