I tried a slight adjustment to my normal chocolate cupcake recipe today; I used coffee instead of milk. I actually liked the taste quite a bit more. The texture was a little bit soft right out of the oven, but after 20 minutes they’re pretty reasonable. They are a little more moist and sticky, so that’s up to personal preference. I think I would reduce the amount of liquid slightly next time, but it worked pretty well as such. It also makes these totally vegan! Well…the cupcake part anyways.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- 1 cup flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 225 ml hot coffee
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 160 g sugar
- 100 ml oil
- 60 ml applesauce
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
(the measurements on this are sort of shady, so most things are easier by weight)
- Preheat the oven to 315F. Line cupcake tins.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine milk, apple cider vinegar, sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir until combined. I always pour the batter into a measuring cup to disperse, since it’s a pretty runny batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on size of liner. Toothpick should come out clean.
CREAM CHEESE ICING (not vegan!)
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Cream butter at medium speed, and add in cream cheese. (I cut everything into small blocks and added when slightly softened)
- When mixture is creamy, add in vanilla, cinnamon, and salt
- Add icing sugar 1 cup at a time. Add slightly more icing sugar if mixture is too runny.