Anybody who knows me knows that I’m a fan of peanut butter. And when I say fan of peanut butter, you can automatically translate that to an almost unhealthy addiction to peanut butter. Roopa and I once had a serious discussion about relationship deal breakers, and dislike of peanut butter or an allergy would be a serious issue for me. Anyways, a couple years ago my friend Sarah-Jane found peanut butter pretzel chocolate bars. Obviously they were amazing and I ate to many. When I was making my Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies, it occurred to me that this chocolate bar would make an amazing cookie.
Overall, I had mixed feelings about these cookies. This saddened me greatly, because I had some pretty high expectations. I liked the flavours together, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the texture. The first batch of cookies that went into the oven did not flatten out, so I baked them a little bit longer to get the insides to cook. Unfortunately, they were crumblier than I would have liked. Second batch in the oven, I squished down with a fork and left them in for the suggested amount of time. This batch definitely worked better.
Despite my insecurities with how these cookies turned out, everybody I gave one too seemed to like them. I would be curious to try this recipe again with a little bit of extra butter, to see if it would soften out the cookies.
Below is the same recipe found in my Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies post; I’ve tweaked it here with the different mix-ins. And this time I remembered to add the salt! 😀
Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¾ cup pretzel bits
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as needed. While this is happening, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl (or add them all to a bowl and whisk).
- Once butter mixture is adequately creamed, blend in the vanilla, egg, and peanut butter until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with your spatula as you see fit.
- With the mixer on low, add in the flour mixture in thirds. Wait for it to become incorporated between additions.
- Add the chocolate chips and pretzel bits, mixing on low momentarily to distribute them amongst the cookie dough.
- Form approximately 1 inch balls of dough using spoons, and place them about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets covered in parchment paper/silicone mats.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through.
Official recipe reference:
Adimando, S. (2011). Chocolate chip cookies. In The Cookiepedia. (pp 43-44) Philadelphia, PA: Quirk Books.