It was my friend Gina’s birthday recently, so obviously a baking date was necessary. After some searching, we decided on a simplified version of these lavender lemon cupcakes. Gina picked up a bunch of ingredients on the way, and genius that I am, I forgot to tell her to grab a lemon. We adapted and went with an Earl Grey flavour instead. They ended up pairing really well, and there was just the right amount of lavender.
The cupcake and icing recipes were taken from Sweetapolita, with the slight change to make the cupcakes Earl Grey flavoured.
VANILLA EARL GREY CUPCAKES
- 240 g (1 cup) buttermilk
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 220 g (2 cups) cake flour
- 250 g (1.25 cups) granulated sugar
- 1 Earl Grey tea bag
- 1.5 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 110 g (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 and line 2 muffin tins.
- Mix together eggs, vanilla, and ¼ (60 g) buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a mixer, combine the flour, sugar, loose tea, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the butter into the dry ingredients, then add the rest of the buttermilk (180g) and mix well.
- Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture in three parts, stirring minimally each time.
- Fill the liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for ~15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1 tbsp. dried lavender
- 2 tbsp. cream or milk
- 140 g unsalted butter
- 50 g white chocolate, melted
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 drop purple food colouring
- Add the dried lavender to the cream/milk and set aside for at least 1 hour. (I did this before I started baking the cupcakes).
- Cream butter until pale. Add in melted chocolate (when it has cooled slightly).
- Add in icing sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Strain the lavender out of the cream, and add the cream to the butter mixture.
- Mix in the salt and food colouring.
- Add in more cream or icing sugar to get desired texture.