These cupcakes are the direct result of needing to use up random ingredients in my house. They are very sweet (depending on the banana), but pretty excellent. They are a brown sugar cupcake base with almond flavoured whipped cream, bananas, and caramel on top. The brown sugar cupcake has a caramelly taste, so it pairs quite well.
Messy, but delicious!
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ stick (56g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. applesauce
- 2 tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp. buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line cupcake tins (makes ~13 medium sized cupcakes)
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Cream butter and brown sugar in mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add apple cider vinegar, applesauce, milk, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk. Start and end with the flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into liners. Bake for 12 – 25 minutes (depending on size of liner), rotating halfway through.
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1-½ tbsps. butter
- 30 – 40 ml heavy cream
- Melt sugar over medium-high heat. Try to minimize stirring
- When it reaches a dark amber colour, add the butter in and swish your pot to melt it. Add the cream in slowly and stir until smooth. Remove from heat
Note: if you are new to making caramel, it’s worth checking a few instructional sites, as they have lots of pictures. This is a pretty good reference site:
To make the cream, I used about 1 cup of heavy cream, and whipped it with 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar and 1/8 tsp. almond extract. I puts sliced bananas on top of the whipped cream, and poured caramel on top. I put paper towel underneath also – it’s a rather messy process.