After a few attempts, I perfected an eggless buttermilk cake. I usually like to add blueberries as well. The icing was a pretty basic buttercream, but a white chocolate buttercream goes quite well.
- 82g softened butter
- 100g sugar
- 2 tbsp. applesauce
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- grated rind of ½ lemon / ¼ tsp. extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 150g flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 115 ml buttermilk
- ½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen + thawed)
- Preheat oven to 325F and line cupcake tins.
- Beat butter and sugar in a mixer until creamy.
- Add applesauce, milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, and lemon.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl.
- On a low speed, add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture in three batches. Alternate each batch with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated, and scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Fold in blueberries if desired. Fill cupcake liners ~2/3 full.
- Bake for 12 – 20 minutes, depending on size of liners. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, being careful not to poke it through a blueberry.