These needed to be diabetic-friendly, so I went with a whole wheat carrot muffin recipe with a really thin layer of cream cheese icing; I made it a little runnier than usual, so it filled the top of the muffin nicely with a single piping layer. Apparently they were excellent, and didn’t taste healthy at all, which is always the goal of healthy baking!
The carrot on top is pretty simple to pipe for some extra flair!
HEALTHY CARROT CUPCAKES (~10 large)
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 7/8 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ – 1 cup grated carrot (~2 carrots)
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- 3/8 cup + 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ tbsp. brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- Preheat oven to 325F, and line cupcake tin.
- Whisk together milk and apple cider vinegar. Alternatively, you could probably use buttermilk, though I haven’t tried this.
- Mix flours, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
- Grate the carrots into a bowl, and add applesauce. You could also add some raisins or nuts if you so desire.
- Mix together sugar, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom in mixer.
- Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk+vinegar mixture. Start and end with flour mixture.
- Stir in the carrot mixture.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 – 30 minutes.
For the cream cheese icing, I just used this recipe here.