A friend of mine came into town today, and I felt there needed to be some sort of baked good involved. I went with banana chocolate chip muffins because:
a) I was short on time
b) I had more than a few bananas at my house
c) I was way too lazy to make icing
Admittedly, the lack of icing is really the most muffinlike thing about these glorified cupcakes. You could easily swap out most of the flour for whole wheat flour though, which would make them a bit healthier.
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS (12 medium)
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 2-½ small bananas, ripe
- 1 tbsp. butter, fully melted
- ½ tbsp. oil
- ¾ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- ½ – ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F, and line a muffin tray.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a mixing bowl until puree-like. Add melted butter, oil, and vanilla, and mix at low speed until combined.
- Add sugars to banana mixture, and mix at low speed until combined.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture, and mix at low speed until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 13 – 20 minutes depending on liner size, rotating tray halfway through. Toothpick should come out clean (unless it hits a chocolate chip).
While I try minimize my gluten intake, my self control tends to fail a little where these guys are involved. They’re kind of delicious.