In honour of Father’s Day this year, I decided to put my moustache cookie cutters to good use and whip up some sugar cookies for my Dad. Because they’re moustaches, it just makes sense to add some cocoa to make them chocolate (especially since my Dad has brown hair).
I got these cookie cutters for my birthday last year from a buddy of mine. I didn’t really expect anything, but that made them all the more wonderful! They’re pretty straightforward, one side cuts out the moustache shape while the other stamps the whisker pattern on.
Let’s be serious, all the fun of these cookies comes from pretending you have a moustache.
I used the sugar cookie recipe from the SprinkleBakes book, because it’s simple and not too sweet. Unfortunately this time around I found the dough to be quite dry… Not sure if I mucked something up, or I just had a bad go at it… Really you can use any recipe you want 🙂
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup + 2 tbsps granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup minus 2 tbsps cocoa
- 3 cups + 2 tbsps all purpose flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until just combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mixing on medium until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the salt, flour, and cocoa. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined. The dough should form a large mass around the paddle.
- Divide the dough into two halves and refrigerate for an hour. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When the dough is chilled, heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough on a floured counter top, and cut out cookies using your desired shapes.
- Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes. Remove from parchment and enjoy!