I have a few people to make cupcakes for this week, and they told me to be creative, so I decided to give PB&J cupcakes a try. It’s pretty much my favourite so I figured I really couldn’t go wrong. I used a vanilla base with a peanut butter white chocolate icing, and filled the cupcakes with some strawberry jam. I made my dad do some quality control testing for me, and he was a big fan. Like I said, you really can’t go wrong with peanut butter and jam.
I was so excited that the liners match my flowers!
VANILLA CUPCAKES (17 large)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1-¾ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3/8 cup oil
- 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- 2 tbsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with ~15 liners
- Add vinegar to milk, and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Mix oil, apple sauce, and vanilla into milk mixture, and whisk until smooth..
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Fill liners ~2/3 high. Bake for 12 – 18 minutes, depending on liner size.
PEANUT BUTTER WHITE CHOCOLATE ICING
- 90 g (a little less than 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 80g white chocolate chips, melted
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- 75 g peanut butter, softened
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. milk
- pinch of salt
- Cream the butter until soft. Add white chocolate and icing sugar until well mixed.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla and mix well. Add milk and salt, and mix until well combined.
*I pretty much just added random amounts of things until it got the taste/texture I wanted. I feel like you don’t really need to be that exact with buttercream icing, because you can always fix it with milk or icing sugar.
Filling the cupcakes with jam
After they had cooled, I just cut out little pieces from the cupcakes with a paring knife, and filled the cavity with jam. I stuck the piece back on, and iced it with my standard star tip. I do know other ways of icing things, but the giant star is just so easy and elegant that I tend to use it most of the time.