I was requested to do some baking this weekend, and was really feeling the lack of cupcakes in my life. I considered a few possibilities and at the end laziness won, so I made whatever I could that didn’t involve me leaving my house. I had a little bit of peanut butter and some butterscotch chips, so I decided I’d make that into an icing. We actually make our own peanut butter at home, and butterscotch peanut butter is absolutely heavenly. I also had some extra banana cream pudding so I thought I’d try that as a filling. I don’t really know that the banana pudding added too much, but the icing was pretty great.
EGGLESS VANILLA CUPCAKES (24 medium)
- 1-¾ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/8 cup oil
- 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- 2 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Add apple cider vinegar to milk. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with liners
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Mix milk mixture, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Fill liners ~2/3 high. Bake for 12 – 18 minutes, depending on liner size.
PEANUT BUTTER ICING*
- 114g unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 30g peanut butter
- 50g butterscotch chips
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- Cream butter and salt for a few minutes until soft.
- Add in peanut butter and melted butterscotch chips and mix thoroughly.
- Add in icing sugar and mix thoroughly. Add milk or icing sugar as needed to get desired texture.
*I didn’t really measure the peanut butter or butterscotch chips, but that was approximately how much it seemed like. I just added as much icing sugar as seemed appropriate.
Clearly the primary use for tweezers