I’m attending a ladies’ night where a lot of my friends have dairy allergies, so I wanted to try and make a vegan cupcake. I was feeling pretty lazy so I made my usual vanilla cupcake recipe – I also got to try out the homemade vanilla I made last year (finally!) – with some coconut milk and almond milk instead. I topped them with coconut whipped cream from Minimalist Baker that turned out quite well. I don’t even like coconut, but it mostly tastes creamy and delicious.
I still don’t have my camera 😦
VEGAN VANILLA CUPCAKES (15 standard)
- 1-¾ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I used about ¼ cup coconut and ¾ almond)
- 3/8 cup oil
- 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- 2 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with ~15 liners
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Mix milk, oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar together in another bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Fill liners ~2/3 high. Bake for ~15 minutes. Rotate halfway through baking.
I had a few issues with the whipped cream. I suggest you check out the link above from Minimalist Baker for a really good tutorial on it. My can was fully liquid and not solidified at all, so I used tapioca starch (as suggested in the original post) and it worked out quite nicely.
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
- 400 mL can coconut milk
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Leave a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Whip coconut milk with a hand mixer.
- If the mixture doesn’t stiffen, add tapioca starch. If it does stiffen, just add sugar and vanilla.