I start my new job tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my interviews, the fact that I bake a lot came up quite a bit. My background (facebook) check also strongly suggested this. I thought it was only fitting that I bake something for my first day of work! I am still just getting settled in this apartment and have quite a lot to do, so I wanted something relatively simple. I decided on my favourite chocolate cupcakes with a butterscotch icing.
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES (makes 24)
- 2 cup flour
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 450 ml hot coffee
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 320 g sugar
- 200 ml oil
- 120 ml applesauce
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line cupcake tins.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine coffee, apple cider vinegar, sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. I mix the coffee and sugar first to melt the sugar.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir until combined. I always pour the batter into a measuring cup to disperse, since it’s a pretty runny batter.
- Bake for ~20 minutes, depending on size of liner. Toothpick should come out clean.
MINT CHOCOLATE ICING
- 160 g unsalted butter
- 2 cups icing sugar (add more or less as needed)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 160 g butterscotch chips, melted
- pinch of salt
- Beat butter on a low-medium speed until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar until well combined, and then add vanilla and salt.
- Melt butterscotch chips and add to icing. Mix at medium speed until well mixed.
- Add milk or icing sugar as needed to get desired texture.