These were made almost entirely out of leftover ingredients I was trying to use up. I had extra egg yolks, buttermilk, and whipping cream from some of the previous week’s bakes. I recently bought the book Layered from the author of the blog Style Sweet CA. Fun fact: I actually bought the book for Alana’s birthday, and then I liked it so much I bought myself a copy too! Anyways, the book has a delicious looking yellow cake recipe that I thought I’d try out. I adjusted it slightly based on what I had kicking around, but it turned out quite well! I’d be lying if I said I was a huge yellow cake fan – I’m kind of a chocolate girl – but it’s quite an excellent recipe! The batter is a dream to work with!
YELLOW CUPCAKES (makes ~27 large cupcakes / 3 x 8″ cake pans)
- 330 g (3 cups) cake flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 0.5 tsp. salt
- 224 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 350g (1.75 cups) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs + 2 egg yolks *
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) vanilla
- 300 mL (1.25 cups) buttermilk **
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time until well mixed. Add in vanilla.
- Alternate adding in dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with dry ingredients (3 dry, 2 wet). Don’t over mix.
- Spoon batter into liners and bake for ~16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*I actually used 3 egg yolks and 2 eggs. Seemed to turn out ok.
** I used 240 mL of buttermilk, and 60 mL of 2% milk with ¼ tsp. of vinegar
- 400 mL whipping cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 40 g granulated sugar
- Whip cream and vanilla on medium speed with a hand mixer until very soft ripples start to form. Add sugar and continue to mix until firm ridges form.