Earl Grey Pudding
Adapted from Martha Stewart.com
- 3 earl grey tea bags
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (140 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (35 g) cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (30 g) unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Ready a medium sized bowl by placing a fine-meshed sieve over top, and set aside.
- Add the tea bags to the milk and heat in the microwave until quite warm. Set aside; allow the tea to steep in the milk until it is a milky brown colour.
- In a medium saucepan (no heat) whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add a couple tablespoons of the milk initially, and whisk your mixture until all of the cornstarch has dissolved. Once smooth, whisk in the rest of the milk first, then the egg yolks second.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking continuously, until large bubbles form. Reduce heat and continue to cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat, and pour custard through the sieve into the bowl. Use a spoon or spatula to push the pudding through if needed. Stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding, to prevent a film from forming, then chill the pudding in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Whisk the pudding smooth before serving, and enjoy 🙂