This morning, I was cruising through Pinterest (yet again) and this recipe caught my eye. I saved it to my baking board thinking to myself “I wonder when I’ll actually end up making these”. Then I remembered that I signed up to be part of my friend’s dodge ball team, and that there is a game today! It’s been a while since I’ve had a team/group of people to feed baking to, so I’m quite excited 😀
These cookies are great. They are super chocolatey without being too sweet, and the chocolate chunks and marshmallows add the perfect amount to gooey-ness. I have to admit that I ate three cookies almost as soon as they were out of the oven. The first was obviously the quality-control/taste-test that must be done with the cookie that inevitably falls apart during transfer from cookie sheet to wire rack. The next two cookies were a consequence of the first.
As far as the chocolate goes, I decided this would be a good opportunity to give Cococo Chocolatiers a try. It’s a product that I’ve noticed a few times around my grocery store, but didn’t ever have a reason to try… until now! Essentially these are bean shaped chocolate chips that come in milk, dark, and white chocolate, as well as a blend of all three, hot chocolate shavings, and cocoa powder. I did a quick Google to see if I could find out more about this brand, and it seems to be a derivative of Bernard Callebaut (specifically a line of baking products). They worked well and tasted wonderful, but I’m not sure I would buy these again as they were quite expensive.
The only thing I did to alter this recipe was omit the peanuts. I made these intending to bring them to dodge ball with me, and Michael is allergic. These cookies are great without them, so it’s up to you whether or not to add the peanuts.
Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Adapted from Sweetest Menu
115 grams (½ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
100 grams (½ cup) granulated sugar
90 grams (½ cup, packed) brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
40 grams (½ cup) cocoa powder
140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
30 grams (½ cup) mini marshmallows
30 grams (¼ cup) roasted salted peanuts (optional)
100 grams (2/3 cup) dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 320 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and egg; mix until combined.
- In a small-medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour and baking soda. Add to the butter and mix on low until just combined.
- Add the marshmallows, dark chocolate, and peanuts (if using). Mix again on low to distribute them in the dough.
- Use a cookie scoop or roll the dough into 1 inch balls, and place on your cookie sheets. Ensure they have room to spread out.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool for at least 5 minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Grab a glass of milk and get ready to eat too many of these cookies!