A friend of mine had a birthday/going away and another friend was in town from Berlin, so obviously I had to bake something. I had another event to bake for where I needed strawberry icing, so I decided on chocolate strawberry cupcakes. I also decided to fill them with lemon pudding, because why not? It worked very nicely since I had some extra lavender icing!
I decided to use a different cupcake recipe this time around, and went with this chocolate cupcake recipe from Sweetapolita. I underestimated the rise on these guys, and it was not pretty…
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES (~30)
- 240 g (1 cup) milk
- 15 g (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 192 g (1.75 cups) pastry flour*
- 400 g (2 cups) white sugar
- 120 g (2/3 cup) cocoa
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 240 g (1 cup) hot coffee
- 110 g (½ cup) oil
- 2 eggs
- 15 g (1 tbsp.) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake tins
- Mix together milk and vinegar, and set aside. Alternatively, use buttermilk.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Combine using a whisk.
- Mix together wet ingredients (including milk mixture).
- Combine all ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Fill liners NO MORE THAN 2/3 high.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (15 – 20 minutes)
- I can’t emphasize enough to NOT overfill these cupcakes
- Part of the issue may have been the amount of flour. The original recipe called for all purpose flour and provided a volume and weight. I don’t believe in all purpose flour, but I converted the volume over to pastry flour. Next time, I will probably convert the weight over (220 g instead of 192 g)
The strawberry icing definitely didn’t have the nice smooth texture I wanted. Next time, I would probably add white chocolate to it.
- 2 cups strawberries (I unfortunately forgot the weight)
- 454 g (1 block) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Food process or blend the strawberries into a puree.
- On a low/medium heat, reduce the strawberry puree until thick (~20 minutes). Allow to cool.
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix in icing sugar and mix thoroughly. Add vanilla, milk, and puree and mix well.
- Add icing sugar or milk as needed to get desired texture.
Such a satisfying colour!
Filling the cupcakes with lemon pudding