It was my colleague’s birthday, and she has recently gone gluten and dairy free. I think that everyone deserves cake on their birthday regardless of health constraints, so I made her this gluten free and vegan “cheesecake” based on a recipe from Minimalist Baker. I’ve made a version of it in the past, but went for a peanut butter flavour. This time I opted to go for a matcha flavour so I skipped the lemon and the peanut butter. I don’t particularly like matcha so I didn’t try any, but Heather liked it, so I’m calling that a win!
- 370 g cashews
- 220 g almonds
- 250 g dates (pitted)
- 400 mL coconut cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. matcha
- Pour boiling water over the cashews, and set aside for one hour.
- In a food processor, mix together the dates and almonds to make the crust.
- Press almond mixture into a 10″ springform pan and freeze.
- Food process the cashews, coconut cream, sugar, and matcha.
- Pour the cashew mixture onto the almond crust. Freeze overnight.
My crust was not nearly sticky enough. Next time I’d add some water or peanut butter to make it stick together better.