A few of my friends came down to visit me during the Vancouver Pride weekend, so obviously I had to bake something. There was a relatively unanimous request for carrot cake with cream cheese icing so I obliged. I adapted this carrot cake recipe from StyleSweetCA.
- 400 g (3-4) carrots
- 240 g cake flour, sifted
- 90 g almond flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- 250 g (2.25 cups) granulated sugar
- 100 g (½ cup) brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 170 g (¾ cup) oil
- 250 g (1 cup) unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line 2 x 8″ cake pans.
- Grate carrot until you have ~3 cups (400 g) of grated carrot. Set aside.
- Sift together the cake flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugars and eggs. Mix in the oil and the applesauce and mix well.
- Mix in the dry ingredients without overmixing.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Divide the batter evenly between cake pans. Bake for ~30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.