A whole bunch of my good friends are in town this weekend! It’s Vancouver Pride and the Festival of Lights, so we all have been meeting up for various activities. The Festival of Lights is a gigantic musical fireworks competition that has hundreds of thousands of people watching from the beach – we had the luxury of watching from my friend’s waterfront patio! For the celebration, I baked this giant M&M skillet cookie from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
GIANT SKILLET COOKIE (original recipe here)
- 225 g (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 200 g (1 cup) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 275 g (2.5 cups) cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 180 g (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips + 50 g to top
- 150 g (¾ cup) M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease an oven safe skillet with shortening.
- Cream butter in stand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add sugars, eggs, and vanilla to mixer until well mixed.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix flour mixture into butter mixture at a low speed until just mixed.
- Using a spatula, mix in chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Pour dough into skillet and use the spatula to even out the layer.
- Bake for ~30 minutes, rotating halfway. Before serving, add chocolate chips on top and bake for 5 more minutes. Serve with ice cream!