Sadly, because of work and school and general adulting, I didn’t do anything terribly exciting this year. That said, I couldn’t miss the opportunity to bake Halloween themed cupcakes! I wanted an orange and green colour scheme, so I went with a vanilla base and a matcha icing. My friend’s 6 year old daughter crushed 3 of these, so I think that means they’re good!
These kind of remind me of dark marks!
- 1.5 cup milk
- 1.5 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 288 g (2-5/8) cups flour
- 300 g (1.5 cups) sugar
- 1.5 tsp. baking powder
- 1.5 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 126 g (9/16 cup) oil
- 3 tbsp. apple sauce
- 3 tbsp. vanilla
- orange food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with ~15 liners
- Add vinegar to milk. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Mix milk mixture with apple sauce and vanilla in another bowl. (I added orange food colouring here)
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Fill liners ~2/3 high. Bake for ~15 minutes. Rotate halfway through baking.
- 170 g (¾ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 70 g white chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. matcha powder
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- green food colouring (optional)
- Cream butter until fluffy. Add in melted white chocolate chips (making sure they aren’t too hot) and mix well.
- Add matcha powder, icing sugar, salt, and food colouring. Mix thoroughly.
- Add icing sugar or milk as needed for desired texture.
For the final assembly, I added white chocolate skulls that I made with my skeleton mold!