This weekend was the staff “Festive Gathering” for my unit, potluck style! I love seasonal goodies, so I decided I would make gingerbread cookies and meringues (for gluten-free peeps).
I feel like at this point the spicy gingerbread cookie recipe is tried and true, but I feel obligated to mention that it was warmly received by everybody who had one. Enjoy 🙂
Eileen’s Spicy Gingerbread Men
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups (250 g) sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and molasses, and mix until combined (scrape down the bowl with a spatula).
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients, and whisk until distributed evenly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, blending on low speed until smooth. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle flour onto a clean surface and roll out the dough until it is a quarter inch thick (according to the original recipe). Cut out your shapes using cookie cutters (or stencils).
- Bake on a cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper) for 8-10 minutes.
(This recipe is the same one I always use, but I’ve updated it a bit to include ingredient weights that were not there before)