My boss got married!! Very exciting! I have managed to miss baking something for his last three birthdays so I felt like a marriage cake was appropriate compensation. Note that this was a celebratory marriage cake and not actually a wedding cake. He loves carrot cake, so I decided on this carrot cake recipe from StylesweetCA which is actually the best carrot cake I have ever had. I’m not much of a carrot cake person, and this cake was spectacular. 10/10 would make again .
CARROT CAKE (2 X 8″ pans)
- 220 g cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 250 g white sugar
- 50 g brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 167 g grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 3 cups shredded carrot (1.5 large carrots)
- 225 g applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 x 8″ cake pans.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Whisk together the sugars and eggs. Mix in the oil until well mixed.
- Stir in half of the flour mixture until well mixed, and then stir in the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in the ground almonds.
- Fold in the shredded carrots and applesauce.
- Bake for ~30 minutes, or when a toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool for ~20 minutes, then invert onto cooling racks.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 224 g unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a stand mixer, mix everything together until you have the desired taste/consistency. Add more icing sugar/milk as needed to adjust the consistency.