I was recently introduced to Gansitos, which are Twinkie-esque Mexican snack cakes. Maybe they’re great if you grow up eating them, but my first impression was overly processed mediocrity. After trying them, I felt compelled to make a better version of them, and I definitely succeeded!
- 1 box Betty Crocker yellow cake mix
- Strawberry jam
- 400 g heavy cream
- 300 g dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli)
- chocolate sprinkles
- Bake the cake in a 9″ x 13″ cake pan.
- Once the cake cools, level it so that it’s mostly flat.
- Put a thin layer of strawberry jam on top of the cake, and freeze until solid.
- Beat ~100 g heavy cream into whipped cream. Spread a thin layer on top of the frozen jam layer, and freeze until solid.
- Heat the remaining cream until it bubbles. Remove from heat and mix the chocolate in until smooth.
- Cut the cake into rectangles (~4.5″ x 1.5″). Pour the chocolate ganache over each cake rectangle, put sprinkles on top, and set aside.