I felt like doing something a little more artistic, so I made a few types of cookies – specifically, mehndi cookies and COLORFUL SPIRAL COOKIES. I got both ideas from Sprinklebakes, but I changed around the sugar cookie recipe.
My take on the mehndi cookie. They definitely improved with each iteration, and google image was rather helpful.
The original recipe + instructions can be found here:
I just wanted a normal sugar cookie rather than a spice cookie, so here is the recipe I used:
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl, and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy, and add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two parts until a dough is formed.
- Wrap ball of dough with plastic wrap, and chill for ~1 hour.
- Roll chilled dough between sheets of parchment/wax paper to the approximate thickness you desire.
- If possible, chill again once rolled for ease of cutting.
I made 4 hands with the dough, and used the leftovers for little cookies. Next time I make this recipe, I’m going to try without the baking soda, and perhaps the cookies won’t get so fat in the oven. The final result was mostly shaped like my hand, but not exactly sized like my hand.
My hand looks a little chubby