Tomorrow is my last day working at the Lego store this summer, so I decided to make a Lego brick shaped cake for the occasion. I made a vanilla cake with a white chocolate buttercream icing so I could food colour it pretty easily. I made a 9"X13" cake and cut it in half to make the brick, and then used marshmallows to make the top of the brick. There are certainly some things I would do differently next time, but it came out alright.
VANILLA CAKE (9X13)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1-¾ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3/8 cup oil
- 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- 2 tbsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add vinegar to milk, and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Mix milk, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla together
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t overmix
- Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating pan halfway through*
*Admittedly, I forgot to actually time how long this took. It does bake more quickly than the average cake though.
WHITE CHOCOLATE ICING**
- 1 cup softened butter
- 140g white chocolate
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2.5 – 3 cups icing sugar
- Whip butter at medium speed until creamy.
- Melt chocolate and add to butter. Chocolate can be melted on the stove over a pot of water, or in the microwave in short intervals.
- Add vanilla, almond extract, and salt to butter mixture. Add icing sugar, and mix well.
**This makes much more icing than necessary. I made enough for this cake and a batch of cupcakes.
After baking the cake, I did a crumb coat and put the cake in the freezer for ~20 minutes, and then did a real coat. I have started using a bench scraper to get the sides even, and it is magical! This was my first time doing a rectangular cake like this, and it’s not amazing, but not terrible either.
After icing it, I cut some marshmallows in half and stuck them on top. I froze them into place before trying to ice them.
If I were to make a cake like this again, I would melt the icing a bit and dip the marshmallows in. I could NOT get them iced nicely by using a spatula.
A different sort of Lego cake!