I got a baking blowtorch for my birthday (!!!!) and finally got an opportunity to use it! I made s’mores cupcakes, because what is better to torch than marshmallow?! I made a graham cracker based cupcakes (adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World), and covered them in marshmallow creme and a piece of chocolate. I definitely had some issues with the marshmallow creme, but I’ll get to that later.
GRAHAM CRACKER CUPCAKES (makes 24 medium cupcakes)
- ¾ cup + 1.5 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 90 mL oil
- 2 tbsp. applesauce
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 1.25 cups milk
- 1.5 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F and line cupcake tins.
- Mix together sugar, oil, applesauce, yogurt, milk, and vanilla in mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and graham crumbs.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture gradually until fully combined. (Mixture will be very runny)
- Fill liners 2/3 full, and bake for ~16 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
Once they had cooled off, I piped some marshmallow creme onto the cupcakes. I have since learned that one does not simply pipe marshmallow creme, since it turns out somewhat like this:
It sort of melts immediately, and spreads over the cupcake. I decided this still looked nice, and blowtorched the cupcakes.
I learned that I’m not very good at blowtorching things; I set a lot of liners on fire, and burned a few marshmallows. That said, it was intensely satisfying. I was pretty happy with how they looked, so I left my house to get some chocolate pieces to put on top. Not a s’more without chocolate after all! In the time it took me to go buy chocolate, these cupcakes sort of fell into shambles.
…at least they still taste good?
So yes, if I ever used marshmallow creme again, I would use WAY less, or use it in some form of icing.