Now that I’m on a macaron making mission, there will likely be a few macaron posts on here. I had some ideas of things to improve from last time (and a lot of excess ganache) so round 2 happened. I fixated on all the imperfections in the last post, but I neglected to mention how great the macarons actually tasted. People raved about them, and multiple people told me it was one of my best baked goods yet! Round 2 turned out marginally better than round 1, but technically speaking, there is a lot of progress to be made.
I used the same Bravetart recipe as last time, so again I’ll focus on the things I changed and the things I need to improve.
- I got a different spatula which helped with the deflating process. Overall, I think my macaronage was better, and the height of the cookies suggests that I didn’t overdo it like last time.
- I only baked one pan at a time, which helped less than I thought. I may lower the temperature next time and play around with that a bit, as it’s definitely variable for every oven.
- I’m pretty sure that my meringue was insufficiently stiff (insert giggle) and that I affected it further by adding a drop of gel food colouring. I’ve since ordered some albumin powder and some powder food colouring to help add stability to the meringue.
- I overfilled the bag and used a large piping tip since I thought it would be more efficient. Needless to say, it wasn’t.
Overall, I’m feeling pretty good about the next batch! I think this is generally trending upwards!